Prep for Painting

(Year Three, spring and summer)

The old holes for an old-fashioned Signet knotmeter and a portlight.
asdf

The old holes for a portlight (outboard) and a knotmeter. If the knotmeter worked (which it didn’t), I’d reinstall it, but maybe in a different location. I had a new compass to install, but the hole is smaller, and again, I wasn’t sure of the location. It’s easier just to patch the old holes with a plywood disk, fiberglass cloth, and epoxy, and then just start over.
asdf

The primer has been sanded transluscent.
asdff” />

The companionway hatch strengthened with battens in the slots and fiberglass cloth. The wood piece under the aft lip was rotten, so that also was replaced. In addition, I added a thin strip of plastic (Starboard) to each side runner because the old wooden strips were almost entirely worn down.
asdf

Old compass hole on the bridge deck.
asdf

Old engine and light control holes on the bridgedeck.
asdf

Surrounding the mast step. This area had a bit of wear and one of the previous owner’s attempt at repair was rather clumsy. The 25-cent piece hole on the starboard side was probably for some kind of wire, because there was a hole drilled through there, but it was patched with only silicone sealant and plugged with a MACHINE screw.
Probably mainly because of this there was some moisture in the overhead, luckily most of which is cored with plastic foam, not rot-able wood. I cut a few 2″ disks out of the inside of the overhead to facilitate drying over the summer, which it seemed to do nicely. I’m thinking of injecting the foam core with GitRot, just to be sure.
asdf

Star crack below port midships stanchion base. Below stanchions is a common place for these: people push and pull on the top of a stanchion to move the boat in a slip or to climb aboard from a dink, and the length of the stanchion works like a lever to stress the fiberglass below.
asdf

The same star crack patched with epoxy. I’m removing the stanchions and will not use regular lifelines, which I tend to trip over dockside more often than I ever touch while under sail. I’ll use jacklines and take my chances, and run a removable nylon webbing strap from the bow pulpit to the aft rail, secured at the shrouds, when any novices are aboard.
asdf

Forward stanchion base. Note the extra hole in the center! Why was that there? I patched this with epoxy resin thickened with milled fiberglass, drilled two new holes, and mounted a padeye.
asdf

Starboard midships stanchion base. Again, note the extra hole in the center! I patched this with epoxy resin thickened with milled fiberglass, drilled four new holes, and mounted an 8″ cleat for spring lines.
asdf

The old portlights aft.
asdf

The old portlights forward.
asdf

This inside shot shows the actual size of the opening in comparison to the effective size of the old–style gasketed portlight (the forward set of 4 portlights are all the same size.)
asdf

The old portlights popped out.
asdf

Just one of the narrow grooves that was so much fun to sand by hand!
asdf

The cockpit. The orbital sander was useful only on the large flat surfaces.
asdf

First pass at sanding. If you “embiggen” the pic, you can see on the forward part the old, badly oxidized gelcoat.
asdf