(Year Three, summer)
As I got her
This dink dropped into my lap at the perfect time. It was perfect to use as practice for the “roll and tip” method of boat painting, trying the flattening agent additive I planned on using on the Vega’s deckhouse and cockpit, and gauging how much non-skid additive to use on the Vega. All I had to do was patch a few holes and cracks around the gunnel and re-do the P.O.’s (Previous Owner) rough patches on the hull: easy.
After sanding off the old paint, which I think was just hardware store enamel brushed on.
After the primer was applied.
After the primer was sanded, per the directions, “until transluscent.” You could feel it there, thin and smooth, but boy, it sure did feel like I was pretty much just taking off everything I had just put on!
First coat of Interlux Brightside. I used high-density foam rollers (about the size of a plump hot dog) that layed the paint down well, so well I didn’t even attempt to “tip” it, and it came out more than satisfactorily smooth!
The inside, as I received it.
The inside, after a little work. I used non-skid additive on the deck, and I cut the hole for an access hatch in the bow section (it was full of water–soaked foam blocks.)
Before . . .